Pages

Friday, June 24, 2016

[Review] Metea County Park

Metea Park is located near Leo-Cedarville and is a surprisingly good option for a short and challenging  3-5 mile run.  The trails are wide, well-maintained, and offer a great break from running on the pavement.  The wooded sections give you some relief from the hot summer sun, and the mature environment basically made wind a non-factor.  You can bring your dog with you, and there's plenty for the family to do.  I couldn't recommend Metea for anything longer than 5-6 miles without getting repetitve, but I will definitely put Metea on my regular rotation of running spots for short recovery runs or for challenging tempo runs.

metea park marsh bridge

Cost (4/5)

$2 per vehicle for a visit.  Annual family passes are $30.  Can't get much cheaper than that.

Facilities (4/5)

There is a small parking lot near the entrance and a larger one near the Nature Center.  The nature center is open during normal business hours and has a restroom (and it has AC if you need to cool off in the summer).

Distance (5/10)

I used to run through Metea a lot in my High School days and was legitimately concerned that it would be difficult to finish a 3 mile run here, but I was surprised.  I covered most of the trails in the park and ran approximately 3.5 miles on this review, which was perfect for my scheduled short run.  I tend to hate running laps on a long run, but the scenery and terrain are nice enough that I could envision myself running 2-3 laps around the park without getting too bored.  I also wasn't very familiar with the trail system and may have missed some, as the park's website boasts 5 miles of trails. I might revisit this portion of the review after I run at Metea a few more times.

Surface (9/10)

The surface was fantastic and none of it was paved!  Most of the trails, except for a few stretches deeper in the woods, are more than wide enough for a solo run and would be good for a small group run as well.  The wooded parts are mostly dirt, with a few bridges and boardwalks peppered throughout.  Outside of the woods, the trail takes you through long grass meadows that are regularly mowed.  The park road running from the entrance back to the Nature Center is gravel, which provides a little extra (unpaved) running distance if you need it.

metea park meadowmetea park trail



Terrain (7/10)

For such a small area, you get a lot of variability in terrain.  I docked some points here because there are no extended climbs that will work for hill repeats, but the park is full of small rolling hills that can really add up to a challenging tempo run.  You're always going up or down and following the twists and turns of Cedar Creek - you won't get bored.

Scenery (4/5)

You get a lot here as well.  Wooded trails, views of Cedar Creek, swampy marshland, old oak trees, wild meadows, a small lake, and foot bridges.  I came upon a couple of wild turkeys, but they ducked into the woods before I could get my phone out for a photo.  I'm certain you'd see plenty of deer if you come here a lot (though I didn't this time).  If you need to take a break along the wooded trail, there are a few scenic turnoffs and overlooks with cool views of Cedar Creek.  I found this hiking video review on YouTube that shows off a little more of the park's natural beauty.

metea park cedar creek

metea park cedar creek

metea park nature center



Cover (4/5)

Aside from the open meadow area of the park, Metea has great cover from the wind and the sun.  The wooded trails felt nice and cool on a really hot day.

Traffic (10/10)

There are wide trails, no street traffic to deal with, and only a handful of other people were at the park when I ran through.

Markers (1/3)

There are trail markers for some of the park's older wooded trails.  Some of the park's newer wooded trails and the meadow/grassy trails aren't well marked at all.  The park map at the main entrance, along with the map posted on the website are woefully outdated - they don't even show or mention any of the meadow trails.  I searched the park website and couldn't find a map, but found an incomplete map after a google search and added it below (it was inside a boy scouts PDF and I can't figure out how to link it properly).  I'll try to pick one up at the Nature Center the next time I run at Metea.  All that said, there's no real danger of getting lost since the park isn't really that large.

metea park map

metea park trail marker

metea park trail map

Connections (0/3)

The park is entirely self contained and does not connect to any externa trails or sidewalks.  I can see that the park now has a northern section that is only accessible from Hursh Road which has some trails of its own, but it is cut off from the original park area by Cedar Creek. I might update the review after I get a chance to run this northern section.  If a bridge eventually connects the two areas of the park, it could be my go-to place for runs of 5-8 miles.

Safety (4/5)

Really nothing to worry about here.  The park is staffed and well-maintained.

Family (4/5)

Jogging strollers and bikes aren't really an option here, but there is plenty for the kids to do here.  Take turns running versus walking the trails with the kids or taking a dip in the swimming pond.  There's a playground that looks safe, but has probably seen better days.  There are some educational programs and maybe some day camps for kids in the summer.  Cedarville Park has a fantastic playground and is just down the road if your family needs something more.

Extras (4/5)

In addition to the nature center, swimming pond, and educational programming, visitors are welcome to bring their dogs (if kept on a leash).  So, Metea is a perfect place for you to have company on your run and also get some exercise for your dog.

There aren't any Strava segments (at least not until I make a few) for the park for me to highlight.

Metea County Park Run Review Score:

73% Great for a short and challenging run through wooded trails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment