Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

[Run Plan] Shoaff to Headwaters and Back

On Saturday morning, I'll be attempting to run from Shoaff Park to Headwaters Park and back via the St. Joseph Pathway, without having to cross over busy streets like Coliseum Blvd. or St. Joe Center Road. I've planned my route on the map at the end of the post.

I scouted the beginning of my run yesterday morning to see if I could actually get from Shoaff to Johnny Appleseed Park safely.  I began that run from Concordia Theological Seminary (review coming soon), but that won't really change my strategy for getting downtown from Shoaff.

After exiting Shoaff, I'll connect to Hefner Fields/IPFW/The Plex by crossing under St. Joe Center Road along the river via this new-ish looking footpath:

And I'll make sure to stop and soak in glance at this pretty view of the river as I run by.  Honestly, I'm happy that the city is finally starting to showcase its rivers and other natural beauty.


From there, I'll head west for just a bit and turn off onto the path leading to The Plex (which connects to IPFW further south).  Remember, I'm trying to get to the Greenway via Johnny Appleseed Park, so I'll be happy to see this:



However, on my run yesterday that was the last sign I saw for Johnny Appleseed Park and I never actually got across Coliseum.  Anyway, I'll run down the flat, gravel path through The Plex and Heffner Fields.  This was the nicest stretch of my scouting run - it's flat, not very windy, and has finely crushed gravel (after a small rough stretch at the North end).  I was surprised nobody had created a Strava segment for this, so I created one going in both directions (just barely shorter than 1 mile).


I'll cross over California and continue on the path before turning left toward the pedestrian bridge over St. Joe River onto IPFW's main campus:


This is where I failed the first time to do my homework. I was certain that I would cross Coliseum from California Road.  When California came to a dead end with no visible paths, I gave up and turned back around.  This time, I'll know that I need to head South after crossing the pedestrian bridge.  

I'll cross Coliseum just West of Anthony Blvd. and then backtrack (over the river, again) and then head South along Baals Drive.  That will take me to the Greenway near Parnell Avenue.  If I follow it, I can get all the way to Headwaters park and see the Old Fort as well as the confluence of the three rivers.  It'll be just over 6 miles each way - which is perfect for my scheduled long run of 12 miles.

I'm hoping headwaters park has a drinking fountain somewhere, and maybe a public bathroom.

It should be a good long run.  I'll try to lug my phone around and get some good pictures along the way.  I should be able to post a review of the full St. Joseph Pathway sometime next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment